author: musasi miyamoto
target people who are recommended to read
- sword man who desire to develop kendo skill
- people who desire to be tough guy
This book consists of five rolls “earth roll” “water roll” “fire roll” “wind roll” “sky roll”.
Main paper are summarized to “earth roll” “water roll” “fire roll”. Earth roll explains style of classical Japanese swordsmanship involving use of two swords. Water roll explains self training to overcome enemy. Fire roll explains various tactics with battle. Wind roll mainly criticize other style. sky roll is added to this book for appearance.
gorinnosyo water roll
Heart of style of classical Japanese swordsmanship involving use of two swords is based on water. In advantage of military art it is important to think in perspective to know which I wrote down about one on one battle as same as advantage of ten thousand on ten thousand battle. You should know that what is contained in this book is what I wrote down for yourself and always put yourself in my place and think better to practice and find out advantage from the bottom of your heart not only look at and mimic that.
about mental attitude in military art
In the way of military art, your mental attitude should not different from peace of mind.
You should usually keep your mind wide and straighten. You should put your heart in center not to tense and relax and bias. You should sway your mind silently and examine not to stop swaying even in the moment your mind is swaying. It is important for you to keep your mind straighten and have mind not to show favoritism for yourself even if your body is big or small.
You should not become muddy in your mind and put your wisdom to wide place. You can acquire the mind which contain wisdom of military art after you refine your wisdom and mind and understand advantage and disadvantage of the world and know justice and evil about things and went across the way of various art and make yourself not deceived by worldly people at all. You especially have to train severely to acquire wisdom of military art.
about appearance in military art
You should bear in mind to keep your posture of body in the below.
- You should not to hang your head.
- You should not to look upward.
- You should not lean your body.
- You should not distort your body.
- You should not disturb your eyes.
- You should not wrinkle your forehead.
- You should not wrinkle your between the eyebrows.
- You should not move your eyeball.
- You should not wink.
- You should make a little narrow your eye.
- You should straighten your nose muscle as if it look like calm.
- You should open your lower chin a little.
- You should straighten your muscle of neck back and put effort to your nape.
- You should regard under shoulder as whole body.
- You should drop your both shoulder and tense your back and not thrust out your hip and put effort from knee to foot tip and tense your stomach not to crouch your waist.
How to keep eye in military art
You should keep your eye on wide and large area.”miru” in Japanese have two means. one is observe and another is look at. “kannome” means you should observe things strong and “kennome” mean you should look at things weak. It is main point of military art that you look at far place as shortsighted and look at near place in perspective. It is important in military art to perceive enemies’ sword and not look at enemies’ sword at all. You should look at both side while you are not moving your eyeball.
about how to handle long sword
How to handle long sword is that you should bear in mind to float your thumb and index finger a little and do not tighten and loosen middle finger too much and tight your ring finger and little finger. It is bad to have slackening in your palm. You should deal with long sword as you cut opponent. You should handle long sword as if your palm not change when you cut opponent and your hand do not crouch. You should avoid settling your whole long sword and hand.